Friday, September 10, 2010

More Non-FaQ's

Continuing with yesterday's theme...


3.  Which one is the oldest?
Um, let's review.  They are triplets.  That means they were born on the same day at the same time.
"Yes, but which one came out first?"
I assure you birth order does not apply here.
"But who is the oldest?"
Well, I was a little preoccupied trying not to die or throw up, but if my memory serves, McCann's butt popped out at the same time as McManus's elbow.  Or maybe it was her foot.  Why don't you go ahead and make the call on how that will affect the rest of their lives/personalities?


4.  Which one is the funny/smart/athletic/pretty one?
I don't think you would ever look at siblings not born at the same time and quickly label them with one moniker.  Don't do the same to my guys just because they were born at the same time. (See definition of 'triplets,' above.)  Life is hard enough without being jammed into one label, and fortunately, the Girls are so complex and full of life that their personalities are fluid.  


5.  Are you going to have another one?
I'm not dumb enough to say "oh no, that will never happen."  The last time I did, I was referring to the possibility of being pregnant with 3 babies.  God has quite the sense of humor.


6.  Don't you wish you had a son?
This is a no-win situation.  If I say "yes," it intimates that I am not happy with the family that I have, or that I would want another child.  (See #5.)  To say "no" could be an insult to those who have and love sons, and after spending the summer with my nephews, I would never say I didn't want that kind of gift.


So let's just say that I was honestly a little sad when I realized we were mono-gender, but that I feel that God, with that quirky sense of humor, spoke pretty clearly in saying that Hughes and I are MUCH better with girls than boys.  Point taken.  Match. Set.


7.  How did you do it when they were babies?
This question is not offensive... I just honestly don't know.  Hughes and I are not inherently patient people, nor do we handle stress and responsibility well when we are hungry or tired. So you can see the recipe for disaster brewing 4+ years ago.  And McManus didn't sleep through the night until she was 10 months old.  (In point of fact, she was actually up for an hour last night too.)  I literally wanted to commit murder with my friends whose singletons  slept through the night at 2 days or whatever.  


Oof and the contingent of doulas/nurses were a HUGE part of our journey.
Family, and I can't state it enough, was also an enormous help.  My mom came twice a week, my in-laws came every weekend, Aunt Baba and Auntie Lo came whenever they could...  Singing Horses stayed our constant close friends and emergency contacts, despite the chaos of our lives (and their own young child.)  I could list relatives for hours and paragraphs, but suffice to say these Girls are lucky to be born into such a Family.  NATO has nothing on my resources during this time.


But the reason I really don't like this question is because I usually have to admit that I did not like the baby phase of our parenting tenure.  Nor am I a mom who looks at babies now and feels my uterus drop.  It was like a war zone--constant fire-drills and bombings punctuated with a few moments of peace, tranquility, smiles and Allied Force support.






So today wasn't all funny, but there it is--a list of all questions that make me crazy.  


And I am already late for my next thing this morning...You're Welcome!  :)  Slainte.

No comments:

Post a Comment