Wednesday, September 29, 2010

5 Reasons to be Happy

I have this image burned into my brain from dropping the Girls at school this morning: it's McCann, boo-boo lip starting to shake and protrude as it dawns on her that Mommy and Daddy are going away for a few days and we will not, in fact, be picking her up from school. Trying to be brave and not cry, she says 'i'm sorry Mommy, I will miss you!' Our mini-cation starts off on this note, and now I miss her and her sisters desperately and don't know quite what to do with myself in the peace and quiet. P&Q I would have boiled bunnies for 24 hours ago...

So while I'm contemplating my own personal bout of Stockholm Syndrome, I'm going to pour myself a glass of wine and live in the moment. And in the stillness, focus on five very good things in my life right now.

1). This is a huge one and frankly deserves it's own entry, but, well, here we are, so.... the Godfather received his last radiation treatment on Monday. I think most of you know Dad was diagnosed with the Big C just over a year ago. In our family, this has tragically connoted a death sentence;we've lost so many.... Oh crap here I go down Negative Lane again. Sorry. God willing, the Godfather's disease, while aggressive, appears treatable and all tests have come back clean. Halle-friggin'-leaua. At this moment, at this time, he has his health. And you know what Mr Prostate Cancer, if you try to come back, we're putting a horse head in your bed.

2) Our good friend over at Art by Marino asked me to help her out with some market comm. So evidently someone, somewhere out there still thinks I'm smart! (or her brain is so melted by her own 2 kids and launch of her new business that she hasn't spotted my recent IQ plummet dip.) Naturally I haven't quite gotten around to drafting her materials yet, but that is next on my list. And on a totally unrelated note, if any of you out there need murals, faux paint or custom art work in your home, have I got a Girl for you!

3) Tropical storm Nicole sideswiped us. Laugh if you must, the irony is there, but still...

4). Four. In. A. Row.

5). We are here on our mini-cation with SingingHorses. It is very sacred to have friends you can travel with, especially when you are as annoying particular as Hughes. While this might not reach the revelry of our last trip, where we basically took a vacation to a liquor store, it's quiet, lovely, and companionable. I mentioned that, on our little getaway, during the hours of 6-9, when normally my kids are needless cesspools of screaming needy mini-terrorists, no one on this trip is allowed to talk; all necessary communications during this time must be done by text. (or blog. Hah!) And no one looked at me funny or thought I was totally bitchy; indeed my pronouncement was met with nods and sympathetic 'mmms' and 'good idea,'.

Of course this concept went out the window when Ker and I pulled a muther-ferking snake out of the pool, but my point is we are lucky enough to have good friends
And I miss my Girls and my Boo (I mean seriously, I'm weepy missing the dog). But in this moment I am happy for my friends.

And family
And brains (melted as they may be)
And blue skies and sunshine

And, of course, Team-that-shall-not-be-named due to my jinx thing...

Like IceCube said, today is a good day

No comments:

Post a Comment