Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Comin' Home, to the Place Where I Belong...


Ok so you know those viral videos that showcase soldiers coming home to surprise their families?  They show up as a surprise to kids' school, wife/husband's work, Mom and Dad's house... you know what I'm talking about?  If you don't, grab a box of tissues and do an internet search.  Anyone who has affection for family, in any form, should take a gander at these...

Anyhow, this happened to a very dear friend of ours today--our Oof, nanny/babysitter/nurse/doula extraordinaire.  Her youngest daughter has spent a year in Afghanistan, and to the shock and awe of her family, surprised them with a two-week leave by literally showing up on Mom and Dad's doorstep.  Her 8-year old nephew greeted her at the airport with an American Flag.

Ok so facebook doesn't have a sufficient way to express how much I 'like' this story.  Even if they have a 'love' button, or a 'wow, i'm in awe, thank you for sharing your lives with us," I don't think internet jargon can cut it.

In this bloody freakin' cold and dismal January, this warms my heart.  It's so easy to put that sacrifice, that commitment that she, and all of our armed services members make, out of our heads.  Its almost a defense mechanism to escape The Fear.  But those homecoming videos... oh they do a heart and body good.

(Side Note 1: This family is going to have to explain how they pulled off this surprise... the logistics must have been insane!)


Side Note 2: Those viral videos of homecoming troops of which I referred.... yeah, they are so intense.  Seriously, Charles Dickens could have saved a lot of time and hassle by dispensing with the ghosts and setting up Ebenezer with You Tube and some Kleenex.  Those images can melt any heart.)

I'm so grateful to those who sacrifice to protect us--those fighting abroad and those they leave behind who carry on every day, holding down the home front--and I don't say it enough.  Could never say it enough.  Thank you.

And those unsung heroes on our own turf--are we grateful enough to them?  You know them too --teachers, nurses, crime fighters and firefighters--we could never pay you enough, so let me just take a second out of my snarky day to say thank you.

Folks have all sorts of callings in life, and those who spend theirs in a battlefield that shapes our future--well, thank you.  I may refer to parenting as a war zone every now and then, but thank you for making your sacrifice so that I can live my own calling.

cuimhnigh i gcónaí 

No comments:

Post a Comment